- If you don’t see your question answered below, please use our Contact Form and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.
- Please note that we do all our tech support via email and we are very responsive. We do not offer telephone support at this time.
- If you need support for our software program, The CheckPrintshop, please visit www.TheCheckPrintshop.com
There are PDF instructions available – with CheckBuilderPro open, click the "Help" icon in the toolbar and select “CBP Manual." There is an index and PDFs are searchable.
Installing CheckBuilderPro on Mac
Set Up Your First Check
Setting Up For Pre-Printed Checks
Memorizing/Setting Up Payees
More videos to come. Please note that the current videos are based on CheckBuilderPro version 2. With the release of version 3 we'll need to re-do these but almost everything still applies.
While not a video we do have a brief tutorial on how to use CheckBuilderPRo to print payroll checks:
Print Payroll Checks
I Emailed Tech Support But Never Heard Back!
We *always* answer tech support emails. During business hours (8am to 6 pm Pacific Time) we usually respond within minutes and no more than an hour. Between 6-10 pm emails are monitored but not as frequently. If you haven’t heard from us within a reasonable amount of time, then consider the following:
- Our response ended up in your spam folder – check that first.
- Your internet service provider may have flagged us as spam.
Here’s a couple of things you can do:
- Email us again and try using a different return email if you have one.
- Provide a phone number where you can be reached. We do our tech support by email, but if you’re not getting our responses we’ll call if necessary to try to get the lines of communication working.
Q. How do I use the backup feature?
A. To use the backup feature proceed as follows (version 3.3.1 or newer required):
1) Open Preferences and go to the 4th tab "Backup." There are brief instructions at the top of that screen.
2) Click the "Select Location" button and navigate to a location that you want (do NOT place it inside the same folder as your check storage folder "CheckBuilderPro3 Docs"). If you want to back up to an external drive make sure to attach that first.
3) If you want to automatically run the backup when you *quit* the software, click the checkbox "Auto Backup When Exiting Program."
4) You can manually backup by clicking the "Utilities" icon in the toolbar and selecting "Backup" or by selecting "Backup" from the main File menu.
CHECKBUILDERPRO NOT OPTIMIZED
Q. I got a warning that CheckBuilderPro is not optimized for my Mac - what should I do?
A. Upgrade to the all-new CheckBuilderPro version 3! It is a 64-bit app and has lots of new features in addition to its 64 bit compatibility.
VERSION 2 CHECKS DON'T OPEN IN VERSION 3
Q. Can I use my checks created in version 2 in the new version 3?
A. The older check will not open in version 3 BUT there is a converter that can quickly and easily extract all the data from your version 2 checks (account & routing numbers, logos, check register, fonts, layout, check register data, etc) and then import that into a version 3 check:
1) In CBP3 open the "CBP2 Converter" from the "Utility" icon in the toolbar.
2) If the converter does not find your version 2 checks automatically, locate the "CheckBuilderPro Documents" folder (by default in your Documents folder). Note: The version 3 folder is named "CheckBuilderPro3 Docs" - you don't want that folder for the conversion.
3) Drag and drop the "CheckBuilderPro Documents" folder onto the "Drop Folder Here" button on the converter window.
4) Follow the directions there.
CHECKS FOLDER NOT FOUND
Q. I’m getting an error message that my check storage is not found – what do I do?
A. The folder where your checks are stored has a slightly different name depending on which version of CheckBuilderPro you have:
CheckBuilderPro 3: “CheckBuilderPro3 Docs”
CheckBuilderPro 2.x: “CheckBuilderPro Documents”
You could try a search for “CheckBuilderPro” – exact spelling (no spaces in “CheckBuilderPro”) and restrict your search to "Folder." If found, click and drag the folder onto the Preferences window onto the 3rd tab (Document Location) where it says “Current Storage Folder Location.” This will point the program to this folder where your checks are stored.
If you want to move your check storage folder, use the “Set/Move” popup menu below the box that lists the current location. There are presets for DropBox and Google Drive (if installed) and your Documents folder. To select a different location, choose “Select other” and designate your location.
Q. Why does nothing happen when I "check for updates?"
A. A while back we switched our web site over to the "Shopify" ecommerce platform and because that does not allow us "root" access we had to move our updater files to a different server. That broke the update mechanism. Contact us for support. Be sure to include the name and email that your purchase was made with so we can verify you as a customer.
RE-DOWNLOAD THE SOFTWARE
Q. Can I re-download the software? The link I have has expired.
A. All of our download links expire after 24 hours, but if you’re a registered user in good standing, just contact us and we’ll send you a new link to re-download the software. Be sure to include the name and email you used when you made your purchase so we can verify you as a customer. If there has been a paid upgrade that you have not purchased we can send you a link for the latest version in the series you did purchase.
Q. I purchased from Amazon but don't have a CD drive - can I download?
A. Yes you sure can. Just request a link here.
CAN'T FIND VALIDATION KEY
Q. I reinstalled the software and now it's asking for a "validation key."
A. If you can't find your validation key, contact us with the name or email that was used when you purchased, so we can look up your validation key. Just a first name or a different email will not work!
Q. Does CheckBuilderPro network with other installations of CheckBuilderPro on the same network?
A. No it does not have any built-in networking capability. You can set up the check storage location in Dropbox or similar file sharing services. All computers you'd want to have access would need to have Dropbox installed and be logged in to the *same* account. Contact us for instructions on set-up.
WHERE ARE MY CHECKS RECORDED
Q. Where can I see the checks that I've written?
A. With a check open, simply click the "Check Register" button right under the bank routing and account numbers.
Printing a Check
PRINTING BLANK CHECKS
Q. How do I print a blank check without a payee and amount?
A. With your check open, just click the "Blank Checks" button just under the bank routing and account numbers on the very left side of the check. Verify the starting check number and enter the number of pages. If you're printing a multiple checks per page format, you also have the option to print just 1 check. Then click "Print."
The "Write Checks" screen is only for those wanting to print completed checks with payee, amount, etc., not blank checks.
Q. Can I print on pre-printed checks?
A. Possibly. Your checks would need to be in sheet form (8.5x11 in the tall orientation) and be Quickbooks/Quicken compatible. Checks in other formats (checks removed from a checkbook, "notebook-style" checks, etc) are not supported. We would recommend you try our free demo to make sure this will work for you.
REPRINTING A CHECK
Q. How do I reprint a check that I've already printed?
A. There are 2 possible ways to reprint a check:
1) If the check is still listed in the "Checks To Print" window then click 1 time in the space before the payee name so that there is a check mark visible. Then print as usual. Or--
2) Open the check register and click 1 time on the check you want to reprint. Then click the "Edit" icon at the top of the register window and select "Reprint."). This will add the check back to the "Checks to Print" window where you can print as usual.
In both cases the software will reprint with the same check number (even though the print window will show the next number in your sequence). Also, after printing you will get a warning that the check was not posted to the register. This is as expected as the check has already been posted.
ROUTING & ACCOUNT NUMBERS NOT PRINTING RIGHT
Q. The routing and account number are printing in the wrong font/I’m getting an error that the MICR font is not loading What should I do?
A. Assuming that you’re running version 2.1 build 6 or newer, in “Preferences” at the bottom is a check box labeled, “Use MICR Symbols.” Click this so that there is a check mark. Then close and reopen your check.
The root of the problem is most likely a corrupted font cache on your computer, which you may want to fix, but this will get you around the problem. Note: This solution will slow printing time slightly.
FONTS LOOK BAD WHEN PRINTED
Q. The fonts on my check look OK on the screen, but when I print on Mac my check they look really bad – what can I do?
A. If you're running on Mac, in all likelihood you have a corrupted font cache. The easiest way to clear and rebuild this cache is to restart your computer in “safe mode” then restart normally:
1. Quit all open programs.
2. Select “Restart…” from the Apple menu.
3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone but not before.
4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).
5. After the computer has booted up, do a normal restart.
*Please note: Starting in Safe Mode will clear the font cache. Just be aware that if you have created font sets with the Apple Font Book program or disabled any fonts, these settings will be lost and will have to be redone.
TEXT NOT PRINTING
Q. My check looks fine on the screen but some of the text areas don’t print – what is the problem?
A. If you're running on Mac, more then likely you have a font conflict. Clear the font cache (see previous question for procedure). Next, in your Application folder there should be a program called Font Book – it comes on all Macs. Open it up, and:
1. Select all your fonts and from the File menu select “Validate Fonts.”
2. Select all your fonts and from the Edit menu, select “Resolve Duplicates.”
3. Reboot your computer and try printing again. If it still isn’t working right, contact us for further help.
Another thing to try is to go to the web site for your printer manufacturer and see if for your specific printer model there is a: 1) a printer software update; 2) a firmware update.
POOR QUALITY GRAPHICS
Q. My graphics are printing with poor quality – what’s wrong?
A. The preferred format for graphics is JPEG or PNG - these will give the best quality. Also, the original size of the image should be roughly twice what you'll want. Then use the sizing control slider to size.
CUT-OFF WHEN PRINTING
Q. My printer is cutting off the image at the top/bottom of the page – what can I do to prevent this?
A. All printers have a margin area where it cannot print. Try moving your check image on the page by using the controls on the “Layout” panel of the editing window. If the bottom margin is the problem, you could try creating a custom page size (like 8.5 x 11.5) (On Mac go to File menu > Page Setup…) to trick your printer into giving you more room. This may require using the manual feed tray on some printers.
QUESTIONS ABOUT DATES
Q. Can I enter checks with different dates?
A. Yes. Open Preferences and go to the second tab “Checks & Deposits.” About half way down is a setting for “Set Check Date When Writing Check or Printing Check.” Set that to “Write” and when you enter a check to print it will pre-date it with the date you’ve selected. Otherwise if you set the preference to “Print” it will print the same date for all checks based on the date you’ve selected.
Q. Can I print a check without a date?
A. No, you cannot print a completed check (with payee and amount) without a date. You can print a blank check and fill it in manually. Then enter that check into the register manually by clicking the "Enter Transaction" button at the top of the register window. Make sure to designate it as a debit.
Q. How do I update/upgrade my copy of CheckBuilderPro?
A. With CheckBuilderPro open, in the toolbar click the “Updates” icon. If there is an update, you can choose to download and install it. After the update is finished it will automatically relaunch the program.
WRITE PRIVILEGES ERROR
Q. I’m getting an error about “write privileges” on my Mac – what do I do?
A. Try repairing permissions with the Disk Utility program. If that doesn’t work, check permissions on your check storage folder:
If you started with a version older than 2.1, look here:
Users > (your user name) > Library > Application Support > com.knappstersolutions.checkbuilderpro
If you started with version 2.1 or newer, look here:
Users > (your user name) > Documents > CheckBuilderPro Documents
Click the folder once, “Get Info” from the File menu. Permissions should be:
-your user name- (Me) – “Read & Write”
Editing a Check
BLANK LINE IN ADDRESS
Q. I would like to have a blank line in my address – how do I get that?
A. In the editor, enter a non-printing character like a space in the line where you want a blank. Otherwise the program will strip your address of any blank lines before it enters it into the check.
BANK DOES NOT USE FRACTIONAL ROUTING
Q. My bank doesn’t use a fractional routing number. How do I handle this in CheckBuilderPro?
A. With version 2.1 or newer, go to the bank #s tab and click the “Hide FR” checkbox – that’s it.
WON’T WORK WITH CANADIAN CHEQUES
Q. I live in Canada and I can’t get the software to format the bank routing number correctly – what should I do?
A. Our software only works with U.S. banks, which is why we place “For U.S. Banks Only” on almost every page of our web site! We are considering a Canadian version but at this time we can’t help you.